A conversation with a member of our nation’s highest court
Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice, was born in Bronx, New York, on June 25, 1954. She earned a B.A. in 1976 from Princeton University, graduating summa cum laude and receiving the university’s highest academic honor. In 1979, she earned a J.D. from Yale Law School where she served as an editor of the Yale Law Journal. She served as Assistant District Attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s Office from 1979–1984. She then litigated international commercial matters in New York City at Pavia & Harcourt, where she served as an associate and then partner from 1984–1992. In 1991, President George H.W. Bush nominated her to the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, and she served in that role from 1992–1998. She served as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit from 1998–2009. President Barack Obama nominated her as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court on May 26, 2009, and she assumed this role August 8, 2009.
FAQs about the event:
- There are no tickets for the event, however there is limited, general admission seating.
- Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. with the event to begin at 7:30 p.m.
- Please note that no large bags or backpacks will be allowed into the MassMutual Center. All attendees must pass through security.
- If you would like to submit a question to the Justice, please do so in advance on our facebook page www.facebook.com/springfieldpublicforum or submit it via email to email@example.com (The Justice does not answer questions on issues that may come before the Court, pending cases, statutes, or proposed legislation.)
- A limited number of pre-signed copies of the Justice’s memoir, My Beloved World, will be available for purchase at the event, but there will not be a book signing.
- There will not be an opportunity for pictures with the Justice. Please also refrain from taking video of the event.
For evening events, Public Forum Members at the Patron or above levels ($125+) are invited to dinner with the speaker prior to the event.Register for Dinner